2010 Resolutions and Leaks: Final Fantasy (Owen Pallett) and Los Campesinos

2010 is just around the corner, which means exciting things here at the Rebellious Jukebox. Did I say exciting? I meant things. Hopefully our little gang of rebellion -- we need a name to call ourselves. The Jukes? Rebels? I don't know, one of you more clever ones think it up -- will find more inspiration than we did in '09. I know that there are a few things I would like to do in the New Year for the blog: I'd like to keep track of all the (new) albums I listen to on a weekly basis, because, as much as I like RYM, I think it's a bit clunky for that; I'd like to put some focus on Vancouver artists before and after the Olympics, where the focus of the world will be on the place I live; I'd somehow like to integrate this and my tumblr, which I would also like to put more effort into; and a whole host of other things. Let's see how well I follow through!

Since we are near the end of the year, lists have been popping up all over the place. What about ours? Not sure yet. We may all add our lists here individually, or there may be some combined list. Who knows! Expect more in January, probably, while the others touch up theirs. At the very least, my personal list will, most likely, be posted on my aforementioned tumblr and RateYourMusic account on January 1st. And since we're near the end of the decade, a top 100 albums of the decade list is in order, right? That will probably completed in April, I would imagine.

Oh, right, the point of this post. The leaks!

Owen Pallett (Final Fantasy) - Heartland
Genre: Baroque Pop
Year: 2010



Owen Pallett's a pretty neat guy. While he's now trying to move away from his jRPG influences, and rightly so as they were beginning to wear thing, he has in the past created two really good albums based around his ability to loop a violin and play it in ways in which I'm sure weren't intended. He's now stretched out quite a bit more. The new album is entirely orchestrated, references his past, and might be his best album yet. It sounds nothing like his former albums, but still sounds like Owen Pallett. That makes sense, right?

Los Campesinos! - Romance is Boring
Genre: Pop
Year: 2010


I haven't given this album too much attention yet, but it's every bit as fun as the first one was, with the added maturity of a few years that was hinted at on their second 2007 album, We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed. Everybody needs a fun band to bust out every now and then on their iPod/Zune/Achros/what-have-you, and Los Campesinos! fit the bill perfectly.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

0 comments: